Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankfully

Momma and I went to Walmart after we finished working for the day. I needed to pick up a few things to make potato salad and deviled eggs. Momma had to pick up a few things of her own. We were cruising up and down the aisles and circling around looking for something on an aisle we had already been down before. It was very crowded. I hate crowds.

I noticed a man standing at the end of the aisle. I told Momma it was my old friend Stan*. He and his wife Joy* used to be my friends. She was walking behind him, pushing a buggy. He noticed us and said 'hi'. Joy saw us and came up, hugged me and started talking to me and Momma. See? You can be polite to someone even if you aren't friends any more.

They asked about the old Airstream camper Momma bought from them. She told them she sold it. Stan asked how Colt was doing and Joy said her son Dan* was going back to Dalton State College. That implied he had dropped out sometime since I last saw them, I guess. Then we wished each other a happy Thanksgiving and went on our way. 

I was mentally scratching my head and marveling at fate, or serendipity, or whatever it was that brought us to that point at that time together. I had mentioned them the other day. I had asked Momma if she ever saw anything in the newspaper about their divorce. Momma hadn't seen anything. Now Momma and I ran into them at Walmart on Thanksgiving eve. How cool was that? I had my answer. They're still together. I'm glad. They're made for each other in a crazy, dysfunctional sort of way.

Joy is the woman that dropped by after Christmas a couple of years ago to tell me she was divorcing Stan. (See Da-Dumb-Dum) She and I had a couple of disagreements and quit talking years ago. She's the woman that my old friend (Peg*) gossiped about. I didn't believe the gossip and quit talking to Peg. Friends and former friends. What can I say? I'm getting too old for anyone's crap any more. 

When I have days like this I imagine the stars are aligned or something. My cell phone rang on the way home. Scout called to say that Colt was bringing a couple of our friends home. I could barely understand what he was saying but he wanted me to send the turkey and ham Kim is going to cook via Colt and his buddies to his house.

I took Momma home and helped carry in her groceries then headed home. I was sooo happy. Two of my favorite guys were here.

Allen was here with Colt and Timbo. We've known Allen since we moved here 23 years ago. He was seven years old. He would follow Donny around, talking a mile a minute, all day long. Allen moved to Murray County and we don't get to see him very much any more. Allen has been sick and in the hospital. I worry about him because he doesn't take care of himself. He thinks I nag him. I only do it because I love him.

Timbo is Scout's other buddy that moved back to Florida a few years ago. He was involved in the '80 Mexicans' fiasco in Scoping Out The Neighbors. It's wonderful to see some of our very special friends sometimes. It reminds me of old times when there used to be lots of commotion and laughter around here. I always enjoyed picking on the boys and their friends. They always gave as good as they got so there was no telling what was going on. 

It's a lot quieter around here now that Scout and Colt don't live here any more. Colt comes home from the university on weekends but half of the week it is very lonely and a little bit sad. That's why it was so great to see some old friends and familiar faces. That can make anyone smile.

Old friends, family, and loved ones. Now that's something worthwhile to be thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving yall.

AS ALWAYS
PIO
********

*Aliases were used.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. It's more fun than just lurking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
If you receive Resaca Rose in email you can click on the name at the top of the page and connect directly to the blog. You will be able to see the sidebar and additional settings that are not displayed in the email format.

Map Locator

Locations of Site Visitors