Saturday, April 20, 2013

Which Is It

Which is it? Genius? Or redneck?
I guess you're wondering what that's all about, don't you? I got it into my head last year that I could save my dryer lint and put it out for the birds to make nests. After thinking about it for a while I figured I could use Don's wire collapsible fishing basket to put the lint into, but it took me a while to figure out how to hang it outside for the birds. I wanted to keep it dry.

*cue the inspirational music*

I used a shepard's hook that you can hang flowers on and got Colt's big old umbrella to put over it. I wedged the umbrella handle down in the middle of the lint and hung the basket on the pole. Scout wired the umbrella to the hook with a coat hanger. Wa-laa! It worked. It even survived the storm that went through our area the first night so I hope this will keep my lint from getting rained on.

Well, which is it? Redneck, or genius? I think it's brilliant but I'm prejudice.

I used to feed the birds in the backyard near the mulch pile but had to quit. It was like a fast food restaurant for my cats. I bought a couple of big feeders and hung them in the front yard under my magnolia trees. I can see it from the kitchen window. The feeders hold five pounds of food so I don't have to refill them all the time. I just have to take my bucket of seed and step ladder to reach them. They're higher than my head. I have them hanging from the limbs of the magnolia with coat hangers. 

I have a cute little hummingbird feeder that I like to hang on a shepherd's hook outside the kitchen window. It's time to dig it out and hang it back outside for the summer. It's fun watching them jockey for a spot on the feeder. 

One year our garden was damaged by a storm and knocked the corn over. The pole beans took over the garden. Weeds sprung up everywhere. Hundreds of little yellow goldfinches came down and feasted on the garden. I never saw so many yellow birds in my life. It was beautiful. Ever since then I've tried to keep a feeder with thistle in it for the goldfinches. 

You may think I'm weird for saving my lint and putting it out for the birds, but I think I'm paying if forward for nature. It's all in the eye of the beholder. I think the birds are beautiful to behold. Don't you?


AS ALWAYS
PIO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. It's more fun than just lurking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
If you receive Resaca Rose in email you can click on the name at the top of the page and connect directly to the blog. You will be able to see the sidebar and additional settings that are not displayed in the email format.

Map Locator

Locations of Site Visitors